17.3.10

Fifty Pound Funk


From bad to worse, the day moved
unchecked, then in a moment,
I found the self respect I’d lost
and got smart, and tossed this
fifty pound funk.

It had made its home on my shoulder,
and made every day colder, suffocating
me with fears, till all I was aware of,
was that I was getting older,
and I was still just sitting here.

But that rapturous instant came,
brought on by polyphonic rhythms
and rain, by hues of purple against
asphalt black, and sharing stories
over the remains of a six pack.

O my! how these moments capture us,
and leave us floating in the ether
above, the portal lies concealed
from selective eyes, tucked beneath
our choice of fear or love.

Between being safe from harm
and strife, and risking it for the charm of life.

4 comments:

  1. I feel like you captured an internal struggle I am currently battleing. It mut be worth it to risk something in the pursuit of joy and meaning in our lives. Fear often holds us back. I don't want to watch time pass when I could have lived it. This was a very thought provoking piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the first picture gave me (slightly) the creeps! :P

    There are two parts in your poem that I really loved (well, I loved it in general, but these a little more!)

    "till all I was aware of,
    was that I was getting older,
    and I was still just sitting here."

    Very well-said. It says it all actually! Finding out that your life may be passing right in front of you..Scary. Hence, living in the moment and stopping to enjoy it!:)

    "Between being safe from harm
    and strife, and risking it for the charm of life."

    That's just beautifully written. I whole-heartedly agree with that!

    Maybe you don't remember, but you wrote once on my post about poems that you made yours rhyme by slipping words that sound alike through them so it sounds really nice? That really wasn't well explained, but my point I now know what you mean ;)

    I really LOVED the last picture, btw. It would be like a dream come true, huh? The only way to get as close to it is to go outside, lay down, look up, and imagine there's nothing else! It's not quite that, but imagination's great!

    Hope your foot is better and that the movement of the Earth hasn't played too many other tricks on you :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Of fear or love." Your poetry captures this struggle so beautifully.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't tell me that I'm actually winning you over..! ;)

    ReplyDelete

So...what did you think?