16.7.10

Beef Flavored Ramen Noodles

So I wish I could tell it all, but neither of us have time for that.




The smell of ramen noodles cooking in a styrofoam cup in the microwave

takes him back to his grandfathers house many years ago.

At the time he thought he was his uncle, and he thought

that because that's what he was told by his mom.



But his mom finally told him one day that he was her dad,

and consequently not his uncle but his grandfather.

I don't know if I discovered my parents lying to me before,

but this is one of the first times I can remember.



So why'd she tell us we were visiting Uncle Ronnie

instead of saying Grandpa Ronnie? Well as you may

have guessed it had something to do with them not having

a very close relationship. Her mom, my grandma, divorced Ronnie

when my mom was very young, and remarried.



So why'd they divorce? Well because he was in prison I think.

He robbed a bank, probably to satisfy my grandmother's love of money.

Then he goes away for it, and I assume they divorced sometime after that.



So my grandma got remarried to a really great guy, who I sometimes feel sorry for.

My mom knew him as Dad all her life. So maybe now you see why I knew

my mom's biological father as Uncle, and my "step"grandpa as Grandpa.



Just to make things weirder, my mom got divorced when I was pretty young,

and she remarried a few years later. Fortunately, she didn't tell me my dad

was my uncle, of course I wouldn't have believed her if she had, but still.



there is so much complexity regarding human relations, because they aren't

always, in fact, they rarely are grounded in rational thinking or logical explanation.



So many lies are told, often with good intentions, but regardless they are told

and trust is lost, and trust is one of those things thats really hard to find once

it's lost, kind of like faith.


So this was my first post in what seems like a millenia, I have been wanting to post for so long but have just not been able to find the time. I will try to catch up with your blogs, at least the newest stuff. Shoot me a comment to keep me motivated plz :)

3 comments:

  1. It's good to see a post from you. It is amazing the secrets that are hidden in a family. I still discover them all the time myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, lies. The fabric of our existence. They're sort of great, aren't they? I mean, sooner or later, they pile up so high that they threaten to bury us. So that we have to laugh at them. I think that's the only way to make them fall (or at least roll-over).
    Always happy to read your posts!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom couldn't lie if her life depended on it. If there are secrets in my family, they are well-hidden and buried, because I've never come across them. But I'm not really that close to my extended family either, so...Did this story happen to you for real? Because that would've freaked me out. How did it go for you?

    ReplyDelete

So...what did you think?